Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Fats Suggestions Please!

+8
Narrowminded
The Walrus
ekba
Acroyali
crogagnon
Nightly Orange
Rig D
SapphireSongs
12 posters

Go down

Natural Fats Suggestions Please! Empty Natural Fats Suggestions Please!

Post by SapphireSongs Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:00 am

Hello!

I'm looking for some suggestions for healthy natural fats BESIDES avocado.  When I first "went primal" it was a great success, during which I made a lot of smoothies featuring avocado.  I then developed a sensitivity/allergy to avocado during my last pregnancy, and now I can't eat it without being severely nauseated for 4-5 hours.  (I have a stupid stomach.  It's always causing trouble.)  Anyway, can you recommend other foods that are very high in natural fats?

Thanks so much!
SapphireSongs
SapphireSongs

Back to top Go down

Natural Fats Suggestions Please! Empty Re: Natural Fats Suggestions Please!

Post by Rig D Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:39 am

Try this Sisson link on MDA:
My 16 Favorite Fat Sources
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:46 pm

I was going to say meat, but it seems like you're looking for something to substitute for avocado in your smoothies, so I guess that's out.

The link Rig D provided is good. From that list, smoothie-wise, I often use nut butters or just plain nuts. I like tahini and almond butter, and a handful of walnuts works well with almost any other combination of ingredients.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by crogagnon Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:27 pm

For fat in smoothies, I like to add 1/4 cup of full-fat coconut milk and 1-3 Tbsp of coconut oil (depending on the macros I'm aiming for). The oil usually emulsifies nicely.

crogagnon

https://paleotrack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SapphireSongs Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:44 pm

Nightly Orange wrote:I was going to say meat, but it seems like you're looking for something to substitute for avocado in your smoothies, so I guess that's out.

Actually, maybe I should have been more clear... I don't mean just for smoothies. It's just that the first time I started Primal, we ate about a smoothie a day and they always involved avocado. But no, any source of natural fats.
SapphireSongs
SapphireSongs

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:01 am

SapphireSongs wrote:
Nightly Orange wrote:I was going to say meat, but it seems like you're looking for something to substitute for avocado in your smoothies, so I guess that's out.

Actually, maybe I should have been more clear... I don't mean just for smoothies.  It's just that the first time I started Primal, we ate about a smoothie a day and they always involved avocado.  But no, any source of natural fats.

Butter, eggs, EVOO, and olives are my favorites.
I toss kalamata olives into a dish with feta cheese and drizzle that baby with EVOO and add a dash of pepper. Delicious.

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:02 am

In addition to those already mentioned, duck and goose fat are nice - especially for roasting vegetables. And you don't need to buy them prepakaged. Just roast a duck or goose once in a while and you will have plenty.
We had goose a couple of weeks ago, and we got nearly a pint of fat from the drippings and by rendering the fatty trimmings.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:00 am

Great ideas! Love all the fats - I most often use ghee and grass fed butter. And nuts - lotsa nuts.
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:39 pm

For me, CO, coconut milk, EVOO and cocoa butter. I do use some ghee, but I have issues with dairy so l limit it.

You can make a nice “fat bomb” with cocoa butter, nut butter, cocoa powder and if you must have sweet, a little maple syrup or honey. Melt over a double boiler and pour into molds or an ice cube tray. Works when you’re really craving a snack.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:03 pm

SapphireSongs wrote:Actually, maybe I should have been more clear... I don't mean just for smoothies.  It's just that the first time I started Primal, we ate about a smoothie a day and they always involved avocado.  But no, any source of natural fats.

Ever tried bone marrow? It's divine, though I find that with marrow, grass fed/finished tastes way better than conventional, to a much greater extent than muscle meat. Even a grain-fed CAFO ribeye is pretty delicious when you grill it up right, but with marrow, the random stuff I bought at the local supermarket vs the marrow I ordered from US Wellness Meats was like night vs day. Or at least dusk vs day.

Nothing like a succulent glob of bison marrow in the bone, roasted in the oven for 15 minutes and eaten hot with a pinch of sea salt. Marrow is God's butter.

ekba wrote:In addition to those already mentioned, duck and goose fat are nice - especially for roasting vegetables. And you don't need to buy them prepakaged. Just roast a duck or goose once in a while and you will have plenty.
We had goose a couple of weeks ago, and we got nearly a pint of fat from the drippings and by rendering the fatty trimmings.

Oh man, I love duck fat. Use it in scrambled eggs all the time.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:05 am

The Walrus wrote:Great ideas!  Love all the fats - I most often use ghee and grass fed butter.  And nuts - lotsa nuts.  

Don't go overboard on the nuts. Or, fowl fats. Very high in PUFA's. While there are some essential PUFA's like Omega 3's, generally, the less you consume, the healthier you will be.

FWIW, my fats are EVO, coconut oil, butter, and MCT oil. Everything else is coincidental to the foods I'm eating. My ratios run about 4:2:1 Satfat, MUFA, PUFA. My lipid profiles are always better than excellent. YMMV!

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by SapphireSongs Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:05 am

Narrowminded wrote:For me, CO, coconut milk, EVOO and cocoa butter. I do use some ghee, but I have issues with dairy so l limit it.

You can make a nice “fat bomb” with cocoa butter, nut butter, cocoa powder and if you must have sweet, a little maple syrup or honey.  Melt over a double boiler and pour into molds or an ice cube tray. Works when you’re really craving a snack.

Mmmm... I must keep that in mind! What good way to hit all the points without over-indulging!
SapphireSongs
SapphireSongs

Back to top Go down

Post by SapphireSongs Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:11 am

Every time I make bacon I clarify and keep the grease, then cook my eggs, chicken and what have you in the bacon fat. I know that's a good start! I snack lightly and occasionally on pistachios and cashews, an occasional dessert is 2 or 3 dark chocolate covered almonds... I just want to incorporate more natural fat into my daily intake.

Thanks for all your tips!
SapphireSongs
SapphireSongs

Back to top Go down

Post by SapphireSongs Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 am

crogagnon wrote:For fat in smoothies, I like to add 1/4 cup of full-fat coconut milk and 1-3 Tbsp of coconut oil (depending on the macros I'm aiming for).  The oil usually emulsifies nicely.

What do you do for coconut milk? I buy "Thai Kitchen" coconut products, and I just got a half gallon of "So Delicious" Coconut Milk to try out as well. What do you use?
SapphireSongs
SapphireSongs

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:28 pm

I pretty much just stick to EVO or butter. In fact, in our house there's a standing joke that, "mom (me) gets twitchy" when we have less than 3 pounds of butter in the fridge. Butter is pricey in Ontario so when it goes on sale I will buy 5 or 6 pounds of it so I have enough until it goes on sale again.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by SWSL Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi.  For cooking, we tend to rely on homemade Ghee.  It's one of the few fats commonly available that takes high heat well and does not have a strong flavor like Coco or Palm oil, lard or tallow.    Ghee works with most everything.

Buying it is expensive, but once you get the process down it's easy to make up a few pints at a time.  It stores amazingly well if you avoid moisture contamination.   And you can choose the butter you use as a base depending on your budget.  Organic pastured or Kerrygold  to Tillamook to standard commercial brands will all work and I believe will all get you a healthier (and tastier!)  fat for cooking than most anything else you can afford in a store.  Lowest quality butters may actually yield less fat due to more water content, so try to find your value point.

Now one can argue that what we make at home is not traditional Ghee, but actually clarified butter. Anyway, it still works well for cooking.

I don't see how dairy intolerance could matter when it's reduced down to pure fat without the dairy proteins and sugars, but YMMV.

SWSL

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Ghee is butter that's been "clarified" and cooked past it a but and the sediments removed.
Ghee is free of any milk proteins or carbs. It works for lactose intolerant as well as casein free people (like my son).
Clarified butter isn't either of those. The sediment isn't browned and decanted and separated. After we make ghee, my wife and I eat the bottom 1/4th of the ghee she makes, my son gets the top 3/4th.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by SWSL Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:55 pm

srinath_69 wrote:Ghee is butter that's been "clarified" and cooked past it a but and the sediments removed.
Ghee is free of any milk proteins or carbs. It works for lactose intolerant as well as casein free people (like my son).
Clarified butter isn't either of those. The sediment isn't browned and decanted and separated. After we make ghee, my wife and I eat the bottom 1/4th of the ghee she makes, my son gets the top 3/4th.

Yes, probably clarified is the wrong term also.  I thought that the sediment was filtered out. My bad, sorry.

I have read however that TRUE Ghee in it's originating culture is not made from butter, but from a kind of cream (?) that's been cultured ?  I'm not sure, just trying not to misrepresent the modern made-from-butter Ghee from the traditional product where the practice originated.  

Many many years of use in India -  a good traditional fat with a track record.

I also love the solids that get filtered out.  Great nutty/cheesy topping for the few minutes it lasts around the house!

SWSL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down