Lower body senses and regulates body weight

Go down

Lower body senses and regulates body weight

Post by sharperhawk on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:06 am

New Science Shows Losing Weight May Be As Simple As Standing Up
Researchers at Sweden's University of Gothenburg believe they may have discovered the body's second known system for regulating body weight.

“Quite simply, we have found support for the existence of internal bathroom scales," explains Professor John-Olov Jansson, in a statement. "The weight of the body is registered in the lower extremities. If the body weight tends to increase, a signal is sent to the brain to decrease food intake and keep the body weight constant."

The study was conducted by implanting weights into the bellies of mice. Some rodents had capsules with weight equivalent to about 15 percent of their body mass implanted while a control group had empty capsules implanted. After a few weeks, the two groups had nearly the same weight, with the mice implanted with added weight apparently making up the difference by shedding white body fat.
This regulation system is independent of leptin, which the hypothalamus monitors to track body fat stores.

I can see how people who are already overweight/obese can have this "internal scale" taken out of the equation. A lot of excess weight can make standing a painful experience.

The full article is available for free: Body weight homeostat that regulates fat mass independently of leptin in rats and mice.
sharperhawk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lower body senses and regulates body weight

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:26 am

From the study:

Calculations of the efficiency of the homeostatic regulation of total body weight at 2 wk after initiation of the loading revealed that ∼80% of the increased loading was counteracted by reduced biological weight (Fig. S1B). The increased loading also reduced the amount of white adipose tissue

So, what if we all just walked around wearing ankle weights? It sounds simplistic but, if I understand the study, that would work. Thoughts?

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:32 am

The way I read it the weightbearing bones need to signal the weight, hence it should be higher than ankle weights... carrying a heavy backpack might work...
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:37 am

Not sure that my internal scale is working properly.  Smile  
I've tried the ankle weight thing, and think it is beneficial. The only issue is just wearing the things for an extended period, I find that that they become uncomfortable after a while. I have light (2 1/2 lbs each leg) weights, I found that in walking around if I use more weight than that it seems to distort my walking gait.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Okay, furthermore, would it also not make sense that severely obese could lose weight only by standing? My SIL is very obese - maybe 75 to 100 pounds overweight. And she's a teacher who is on her feet a good portion of the day.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:29 pm

From the study:

We propose that much sitting time results in decreased loading of osteocytes in the weight-bearing long bones and, thereby, the homeostatic regulation of body weight does not activate its afferent signal to the brain, resulting in obesity (Fig. 3F).

Well, this part does correlate with the decreased incidence of osteoporosis in overweight individuals.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Weight loss is dependent on reduced food intake. It's about lower appetite, not exercise burning calories.

If someone is leptin-resistant, he or she may overeat despite the signal from the leg bones. Being sedentary is only one of many contributors to obesity.
sharperhawk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:43 pm

sharperhawk wrote:Weight loss is dependent on reduced food intake. It's about lower appetite, not exercise burning calories.

If someone is leptin-resistant, he or she may overeat despite the signal from the leg bones. Being sedentary is only one of many contributors to obesity.

Ah, yes..... obviously a calorie excess would undo all other factors.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:17 am

I have massive lower body strength mainly by virtue of being ~80lb heavier, but also being generally active and a life long motorcyclist. How would that figure in this ? I guess last year it worked well, cos I was always walking around with a stomach full of water/coffee and tea. Nowadays I drink a lot less of all 3 especially water, just to thirst, @ minimum required amounts.

srinath_69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down