The never ending tales of Grokalicious...primal positivity

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The never ending tales of Grokalicious...primal positivity

Post by Grokalicious on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Lucky me. My Christmas present this morning was to wander onto the old forum and find that several of you had left me a note to come here. The only sad thing is that aside from my most recent journal there, the rest are gone baby gone. This actually made me a bit weepy. What a slap in the face to have all of my tales simply go POOF. I chide myself for not having copied them to my computer. But, it is what it is. I did find a couple of entries that somehow made their way into a file on my Mac but that is two out of at least fifty. Ah, it will force me to write more, which is good.  At the end of this entry I'll post one of the ones I found as a sort of Christmas present to myself. I hope you are all with loved ones and smiling.

But first, the updates! The fitness informercial went well. I'm thin and fit although currently down with a chest cold and laryngitis which cost me a voice over job this week. Can't voice characters with no voice. I think that little colds and such reframe our intentions going forward. I feel galvanized and excited to move forward in 2018. I shall neither be selfless or selfish. That is my goal although me being me...well, the tendency is black or white. I shall focus on the nuanced shades of joy that lie ahead. I'm going to buy my own mic equipment to tape my own auditions, get photos at last now that I am thin etc. For work, I am doing Social Media/Events for a couple of wine related businesses and figuring out what's next. France is on! Though, sadly not the pilgrimage. I have some unease about hiking in a remote region completely by myself. I read about some single women-hikers meeting a not-so-savory end on a couple of the chemins. Instead, I shall spend 10 days in Le Marais in Paris and celebrate my birthday and life and happiness. It's good enough for me! Men? Nothing going on aside from a daily text from Frenchie. We've not spoken since September and his daily texts are just funny little snippets in French about his life.
Salmon Up the Creek

One Sunday a million years ago, I decided to pop by the house to visit my Dad while my Mom was at church. Oddly, when I pulled in the driveway I could see that every single window and door to the house was wide open. Something was wrong. As I hurried to the front door I could hear their two whippets whining and whinging frantically to be let out of the upstairs bedroom. When I ran into the kitchen to see what was up, my Pop spun around with his blondish-white hair askew and a look of panic in his eyes, and asked me in his thick thick drawl if I could smell bacon cooking. Which, of course, I could.  There were burnt frying pans and grease everywhere. He was desperately  trying to air out the house before Mom came home so he had locked the dogs in so they couldn't escape. I laughed so hard that it took a little edge off of his panic. See, she forbade him bacon (along with a lot of other yumminess) and every chance he got, he'd sneak it. Hahahahaa.  That was my Dad. He had his own skill set for survival.

We decided to walk the dogs and let the place air out a bit. Off we sauntered into the woods behind the house, the two whippets running gracefully ahead, my Dad's Northumbrian bagpipes slung across his body. It was another crystalline blue skied day, crisp winter all around. The sort of day in which every cell feels alive in your body. We walked toward the creek, telling each other stupid jokes and pondering my latest goals and dreams. I remember the sunlight dappled through the half budded branches in the woods and all we could hear was the dogs running and our laughter echoing off of the rocks. Finally, we made it down to the creek and he sat down on a large flat boulder overlooking the water and started playing his pipes. My Dad never had much talent at it, but his love of the instrument was so pure that it didn't seem to matter that he mostly played just slightly out of tune and often in the wrong time (this, in spite of the metronome we bought for him). The light brindled down on him and for once he was playing exactly perfectly, just beautifully. The whippets lay at his feet, noses tucked between outstretched front legs, tired from their exuberant run from the house. I think we must have sat there quite a long time with him playing the same little tune again and again while he kept staring into the water, smiling as he played. That moment seemed to hold still forever and then we realized at last that the house had probably aired out enough from the Great Bacon Debacle to go back . So my father folded up his pipes and we headed home.  At the edge of the clearing we  glanced  back at the dogs sniffing their way toward us along the path. Dad looked from them to me and with a contented grin proclaimed that he figured that had done it. Done what, I asked him, puzzled. In that perfect wintry glade by the stream, he explained, he had played for the steelhead swimming up river to spawn.The tune he had played over and over in the crisp late morning was the old rousing Northumbrian  reel "Salmon Tails up the Water”. He hoped it had helped.

I told him that he sounded pretty damn good and he beamed proudly as we trundled off to the house with the dogs dancing merrily through our legs.

Last edited by Grokalicious on Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Grokalicious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The never ending tales of Grokalicious...primal positivity

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi Glish!!

Glad you found your way here.  Welcome!  
Aaah, bacon is so worth it. What a nice moment in time with your dad.

I look forward to some more wonderful storytelling and experiences.  Very Happy
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grokalicious on Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks, Heuristicfireflower! Very Happy
Grokalicious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi Grokalicious. Don’t think we met over on MDA. Glad you found your way here. Love your story about your dad.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:54 pm

So glad you found your way here! I'm sorry about your stories - are you sure they are gone? The whole forum isn't archived? I dug up an old recipe today, the search function actually worked for once!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Welcome back and happy holidays.
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:55 pm

lol at the Bacon Debacle.

One of my favourite memes this year, over a pic of Father Christmas:
"I've been listening to you practice.........Santa's bringing you a metronome".

Welcome Grokalicious

Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grokalicious on Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, all. More soon. So sick I can barely sit up. Back to bed and sleep. xxx
Grokalicious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:11 am

Grokalicious wrote:The only sad thing is that aside from my most recent journal there, the rest are gone baby gone. This actually made me a bit weepy. What a slap in the face to have all of my tales simply go POOF. I chide myself for not having copied them to my computer.

Your journals are still there. It's just that the old links I gave you no longer work as the forum changed... check your 'started topics'... http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/search?searchJSON=%7B%22authorid%22%3A%5B%2219356%22%5D%2C%22channel%22%3A%222%22%2C%22exclude_type%22%3A%5B%22vBForum_PrivateMessage%22%5D%2C%22starter_only%22%3A%221%22%7D

The Walrus wrote:The whole forum isn't archived?  I dug up an old recipe today, the search function actually worked for once!

It can't be that old, as the search function only works at more recent stuff. Let's hope they wait to archive the lot until everyone has got their journal copied... plenty of mistakes were made already and are bound to happen again... perhaps they'll remove the spam first... that should keep them busy enough (and should have been done ages ago).

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:50 am

So happy you found your way here Grok!

I retrieved my entire journal.  I imagine you can also.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grokalicious on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:37 am

Lovebird wrote:
Grokalicious wrote:The only sad thing is that aside from my most recent journal there, the rest are gone baby gone. This actually made me a bit weepy. What a slap in the face to have all of my tales simply go POOF. I chide myself for not having copied them to my computer.

Your journals are still there. It's just that the old links I gave you no longer work as the forum changed... check your 'started topics'...

Ohhh this was my Christmas present for sure! Thank you so much for this. It's been a bit of a bleak holiday and this brightened it completely. I am actually still too ill to go check it out. Just up for a moment and then back to bed. Can't wait to feel better so I can deal with it. Does anyone know if I can d/l it? Or how I can keep it? Sorry I am just unable to search for answers right now. I can, however, successfully search for my pillow...
Grokalicious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:48 am

Grokalicious wrote:
Does anyone know if I can d/l it? Or how I can keep it?

There's a 'How to' section for future reference on whatever questions you may have, but for now:

sharperhawk wrote:If you're going to copy and paste from MDA, it may be easier if your setting is to view 40 posts per page. Go to your profile, click "Edit Settings," then click the "Account" tab. Scroll down until you see the setting for "Posts per page." The default is 10. Use the dropdown menu to change it, up to a max of 40 posts per page.

You're welcome. As well as to the forum. Wink Get well soon.

Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:23 pm

Hoping you are starting to feel better
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grokalicious on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:37 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Hoping you are starting to feel better

Aww thanks. I'm still flat out in bed. Fever that won't break, congestion and laryngitis. Hoping I'm better in the morning. Wish I could eat something! Just zero appetite and mild nausea. Ah, this too shall pass. Thanks for the note. Smile

And, thanks to all for the warm welcome.
Grokalicious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:58 am

One year I was sick over the holidays. Really felt sorry for myself, as you should/could too.

Hope you are on the mend.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grokalicious on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:42 am

perennialpam wrote:One year I was sick over the holidays.  Really felt sorry for myself, as you should/could too.

Hope you are on the mend.  

Thanks! I'm fairly certain I am back with the living. Mostly. I still sound somewhat like a barking seal (anyone got a fish treat??) and the redness around my nostrils is dry and flaky and nasty looking. Not my best look but I don't feel so ill. I still had a nice Xmas surprise which I will share.
Grokalicious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grokalicious on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:09 am

I managed to stay up and positive in spite of the flu demons yanking me all about. Who knows how. I had no presents this year other than the gift of life which is a pretty damn great cadeau, all things considered. And here I am on the mend with a brand new year of adventures ahead of me. I always think that a wee illness (a cold, flu etc) forces you to stop and rest and reframe "what's next." To say I am ready ready ready is the understatement of a year that is quite close to ending...

My mother emailed me some photos that a friend of the family posted on Facebook on Christmas Eve. Since I am not on FB, I never would have seen them. When I opened the email, I burst out crying because the pics were of a note my Father had written the friend who is a WW2 War Historian and they were in his hand. He wrote about his Christmas Eve jump which I believe was the Battle of the Bulge and how they massacred the song "Twelve Days of Christmas" to fit the war. It was funny, sad, and touching all at the once. There was also a photo of my very young father all decked out in soldier gear. Anyway, it made my holiday. I guess that was my present, really. A glimpse of my Pop.

Ok, back to bed. I'm still not 100%. But will be.
Grokalicious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:25 pm

That was a special moment to see those pix.

I am glad you are on the mend, keep grokking on.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grokalicious on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:17 pm

I feel so childish and whiny which is totally out of character for me. Still laid out flat in bed with a fever that won't break and I am fairly sure I could get work as a replacement for one of the seals at Sea World. I am doing all of the right things to get over this but my body has different ideas. And no I am not going to Urgent Care. They will simply tell me to take OTC stuff that I may or may not be already taking. Aside from the fever there is no sign of infection. What I would really like is for someone to make me tea (I made my own, thank you very much) or a lovely hot broth. I want to be a bit babied for some odd reason. Or, I'd really enjoy being able to dance and twirl about in a gentle flurry of snow or wiggle my toes in the warm waters of a river after skinny dipping. Anything, absolutely anything other than lying on this bed with a raging fever and a bosso profondo bark...

Ah but tomorrow is just around the corner. Let's see what improvements I can muster.
Grokalicious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:07 pm

What wonderful pictures and letter to remember your pop by. Always a wonderful gift.

So sorry you still have a fever raging. Had a friend tell me once the cure is a very hot bath and a bottle of wine, says it will knock it right out.

Have you ever tried an onion pack? Chop onions about a dice, wrap in a towel and then plastic wrap it to your chest. Stinky yes, but does help.

Healing vibes coming your way
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:15 pm

Ah, Grokalicious, you are right, tomorrow is just around the corner and meanwhile here is not at all a bad place to grizzle and moan a bit.

Last year when I had been sick but thought I was well again, a shower of rain on my almost dry washing reduced me to tears and that's when I realised I was still not up to par. It's not odd to wish to be babied. It sucks, but you are taking care of yourself as best you can and things will soon look up.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:58 pm

I agree.

We all need to be comforted and those times when the microbes decide to rush us can be very trying. Re-framing is quite the fitting word for a health bomb. Definitely fits me, as well.
How awesome to read what he wrote. And his humor and personality so clear must have been wonderful. Glad you caught another glimpse of your pop.

Hope you feel better soon. That cup of broth does sound good. :}
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:04 am

That letter written by your Pop is precious. So happy your mom shared with you. That was thoughtful of her.

Sorry you remain ill and that your $ rely on that voice. As far as the onions....as much as I love onions, no thanks, NM. haha

<<hugs>> and a peck for some comfort from one of the pack.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeangenie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Isn't it difficult to relax and rest? Try to let your body tell you what it can manage. I have tried to learn this through my chemo treatment but still ended up wiped out some days and weepy because I had done too much!
jeangenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grokalicious on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:58 pm

A big HUGE thank you to all of you. Each of you has buoyed my spirits! Whining is over. Fever is broken. Cough is better though not perfect. And this shall be the last I speak of it because I literally am feeling better with each hour. It's an effective weight loss tool but not a terrifically fun one.

Am spending today resting and planning January and goals professionally etc. It's a warm day in Los Angeles, perfect for daydreaming about my future and writing it all down. Once my head is totally clear, I'll tell a tale (likely tomorrow). Maybe later today. It'll be the one I promised about the baby fawn but was never emotionally able to write.

Bises.

Last edited by Grokalicious on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Grokalicious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next