Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best nutrition for bone healing.

+4
John Caton
ONTARIO
Lovebird
Annieh
8 posters

Go down

Best nutrition for bone healing. Empty Best nutrition for bone healing.

Post by Annieh Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:35 am

Grrr I have fractured my radius. Arm is in big cast. Dr said ibuprofen not for too many days as may hinder healing. i asked about best nutrition for healing, she smiled sweetly and said "a healthy balanced diet". I'm thinking gelatine broth may be particularly advantageous. Any other ideas?
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Best nutrition for bone healing. Empty Re: Best nutrition for bone healing.

Post by Lovebird Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:00 am

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/healing-broken-bones-and-blended-soups/

"Move safely. Obviously, your mobility is limited. You can’t do nearly as much you’re used to doing. Shearing movement can hamper the healing process. And whatever you do must be done with the blessing and guidance of your physician, physical therapist, and anyone else with a stake in your healing. But some degree of movement and mechanical loading should help. Stability is good and crucial. Rigidity and immobility are not.

Protein matters. In wound healing, protein requirements go way up. Whether it’s a bad burn, a laceration, or a broken bone, you need protein to build new tissue. And even though we don’t really think of broken bones as wounds, you’re essentially recovering from a traumatic wound. The gelatin and protein powder are good starts, but you should seek to get most of your protein through whole foods, as they’ll contain other pro-bone nutrients. One review recommends around 1.5 g protein/kg bodyweight or close to 0.7 g protein/lb bodyweight for injured patients. Use powders to fill in the gaps.

Calories matter. The more healing you have, the more food you need. Bone remodeling is incredibly energy-intensive. Don’t go so far as to start putting on weight, but eat more food than you think you need.

As for specific nutrients?

Strontium has been shown to speed up fracture healing time. Strontium ranelate, a prescription form, seems to have the most backing in the literature, though there are some contraindications you should discuss with your doctor.

Vitamin D, a pre-requisite for bone formation and mineral deposition, probably helps fracture healing, although the evidence is a bit scant, with just one pilot study published to date showing improved fracture healing with supplementation. Still, vitamin D is an important nutrient that many of us don’t get enough of. Perhaps some midmorning sun-bathing sessions are in order.

Milk basic protein, a component of whey, has been shown to speed up fracture healing in animal models and is available as a supplement.

Zinc, found in oysters, red meat, and seeds, can boost fracture healing in animal models.

Don’t forget about calcium, the basic stuff of bones. Paired with vitamin D, it’s been shown to improve some markers of fracture healing in humans. Dairy, bone-in canned fish, and leafy greens are great sources of calcium.

Vitamin C helps tissue construction, and a 2004 study even found that giving tibial fracture patients a mix of vitamin C, proline, lysine, vitamin B6, and other essential nutrients (likely many of the ones listed above) decreased the healing time (PDF).

Vitamin K2 is an underutilized and under-eaten but extremely important nutrient for bone metabolism. Take a supplement or eat natto, gouda, or goose liver paté.

Silicon is a trace mineral most people don’t consider essential, but it plays a small but important role in bone health. Most mineral waters are good sources of silicon; check the label or look up the water’s website for confirmation.

Copper matters. In one study, the protective effect of calcium in drinking water on fractures was enhanced by the presence of copper.

Damage Control Master Formula is a great source of micronutrients, polyphenols, and other antioxidant compounds. It’s really the best, most comprehensive and balanced multivitamin in existence, in my humble opinion. As such, it can help control inflammation that may be slowing your fracture healing. It’s definitely worth a try.

There are some “alternative” therapies showing promise:

Pulsed low-dose ultrasound has strong evidence for the healing of fresh fractures and weaker evidence for the healing of “delayed union” (or slower to heal) fractures. It might be worth a shot.

Infrared light may also improve fracture healing. Many professional sports teams are using infrared lasers to improve athlete healing times.

Parathyroid hormone administration may be able to speed up healing.

This review paper discusses some other therapies with potential for healing bone fractures. You can’t exactly get stem cell therapy or bone marrow concentrate aspirate off Amazon, so print it out and discuss them with your doctor."

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:57 pm

thanks lovebird, you have saved me having to look out that post, i knew mark would have one.

protein matters.  1.5g / kg of bodyweight. i am approx 60kg, so my target is 90g protein per day, or 30g 3x per day.  better have think about how to get that.

so far i ate tsp of peanut butter. it is 6g protein per 20g serving, but i cant eat that much at once.
my bacon slices are 7g per 50g serving. im not sure if i usually eat that much either.
eggs 6g per hardboiled egg, if i have two thats 12g.

so potentially for breakfast i might get up to 22g.  

hmm, hard to get more than that in. then i have to do it again, at least 3x

sorry no caps. i am typing one-handed.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi Annie. How well do you do with dairy? Greek yoghurt/Skyr/cottage cheese? Those items make getting enough protein lots easier. And since the temps over there are a lot better than on this side, something cooling is nice. sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:08 pm

vitamin d, not a problem, we are almost to our longest day and the weather is mostly sunny.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:10 pm

ooh, cottage cheese is a good idea, i haven't had any for a while.

not a huge fan of greek yoghurt but can probably do something with the small pottle i happen to have in the fridge.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Yikes! So sorry for your injury. I hope you heal fast.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by John Caton Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:52 pm

+1 regarding K2 references. K2 is the traffic cop directing calcium to bones.

John Caton

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Vitamins A, D, and K2 work in concert to promote healthy bones.

Calcium and magnesium are likewise partners in this equation; sufficient magnesium will encourage calcium deposition onto bone.

So the conventional advice of "supplement vit. D and calcium" is half-right.

And of course, you should be using the arm and (eventually, after sufficient recovery) exercising it as much as you're able to.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:45 pm

mmm, google sources of vitamins a, k2 and magnesium and come up with some of my favourite foods!
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:12 am

Have not broken a bone, knock on wood. I did have 3 surgeries in a 9 month period. I prepared by making bone broth and freezeing in about 4 oz chunks, making home made gelatin with Great Lakes gelatin, and having coconut based protein powder available. I also taped into once a moth cooking to have easy meals ready in the freezer.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:00 am

good ideas pedi. i have bones in the freezer, both chicken and lamb. time to use them.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:54 am

I've heard IF/LF helps make HGH which is anabolic to bone. Not sure if its general overall builder of bone (which it seems to be in my case) or is it effective for spot like a fracture.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:19 pm

thanks, srinath
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Well, FWIW,  I broke my ankle in the summer, and tried most of those suggestions. I wore my cast/boot 3 1/2 months before I got the all-clear to ditch it. Alas, the bad weather started closing in, and my entire leg ached like crazy. Still does. But I walk on it (used a walker before, still do) take the occasional painkiller, and consider myself to have gotten off fortunate in my old age that I am no longer dependent on a wheelchair. I cannot point to any one modality for my return to the status quo, but they seemed to all help. Very Happy

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down